Interesting research on the noise produced by a society and its impact on the creation of spaces.
1. Introduction Joseph D. Hankins and Carolyn S. Stevens
2. Sound and the Tactics of Publicity in the Buraku Liberation Movement Joseph D. Hankins
3. Facing the Nation: Sound, Fury, and Public Oratory among Japanese Right-Wing Groups Nathaniel Smith
4. Military Aircraft Noise and the Politics of Spatial Affect in Okinawa Rupert Cox
5. Distraction, Noise, and Ambient Sounds in Tokyo Lorraine Plourde
6. Sounding Imaginative Empathy: Chindon-ya’s Affective Economies on the Streets of Osaka Marié Abe
7. The Swinging Phonograph in a Hot Teahouse: Sound Technology and the Emergence of the Jazz Community in Prewar Japan Shuhei Hosokawa